Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wheels

Second only to airfare -- which this year is far higher than at any time in recent memory -- is the cost of car rental for travelers in France.  I keep meaning to buy a car but somehow I just haven't managed to get around to it so I continue to rent for a month at a time every visit. Really, I will buy a car sometime this year, but in the meantime, I've assembled a short list for myself of places to rent that are an alternative to Hertz, Avis and Europcar.

Although I've had first-hand experience with a pretty wide array of rental companies, this list also comes from the readers of the marvelously entertaining and terribly useful French Word-a-Day blog, by author, mom, and popular blogger Kristen Espinasse. She asked her readers for suggestions, got quite a few and I've added my two cents from my own experience.

Keep in mind that, just as in the United States, all rental agencies place additional fees and surcharges on cars rented at airports and train stations.  If you can rent a car from centre ville, you can save some cash.  Also, don't forget that gasoline and diesel costs are far higher everywhere than in the U.S. so if you can drive a stick and do with a smaller car, you'll save both money and the environment.

BSP-Auto: This is my favorite and the place I rent from nearly all the time.  My friend Marie-Kristine suggested it and she's one of the two most knowledgeable, practical, wonderful French women I know.  It turns out that BSP contracts with the major car rent companies, like Hertz or Europcar, to rent their excess stock at a discount.  It is the same car you'd get from the big guys but often $200 to $400 less for a month of rental.  Mileage is limited, but the limit is set so high I've never exceeded it.  At airports and train stations throughout France, they tend to share office space with their partners so you'll be walking up to the same rental car counter you would if you were spending more money and dealing with the same agents. The Website is in French only.

Sixt.fr:  This is the second best option if cost is a principal driver. (Yes, I said driver.)  They're all over the country, have good rates and sometimes offer special discounts that make them a more attractive option than BSP-Auto.  They also seem to have their own fleet, rather than consolidating the vehicles of partner companies.  Another Website in French only.

Super-U:  This chain of French grocery stores also rents vehicles and they can be less expensive than other places.  However, you have to find a way to get from the train or plane to the nearest Super-U and I've found the clerks in the stores to be both ill-informed and ill-tempered.  They really want you to just buy a jar of mustard and leave. There's also a cap on mileage here and many Super-U's rent only small trucks and vans to be used for hauling, like U-Haul in the U.S.  I've never rented from the store, but for someone already in France and close enough to a Super-U to stop in, it might prove a good deal.

DriveTravel.com: This may not be the least expensive place to rent a car, but it is the only one with links to leasing motor homes, motorbikes, canal boats, luxury sports cars and classic cars, in addition to your garden-variety Twingo.

Auto Europe Discount Car:  Offers car rental throughout France and some tips on driving in Europe. You pay upfront and avoid currency exchange charges, but it is not especially inexpensive.  Word is that their customer service is quite good, but I've never used them and I'd guess that's more the luck of the draw.

I have heard time and again that for long-term rentals of one to six months it is possible to get better rates by leasing or doing a lease buy-back from Renault, Peugeot or Citroen.  I have never found this to be a good option. You must rent at least 21 days in advance, the paperwork is more complicated and the costs are higher.  You do get a brand new car, that's true, but the cars I've rented from the rental agencies are all one or two years and in new condition so I don't see that as much of an advantage.  It might be a better deal at the high end if you're renting a more luxurious vehicle, and is worth exploring in any case. Here are two places to begin:

Autofrance: For Peugeot and Citroen, Autofrance is located in most cities with airports or major train stations. You can pick up the car and return it in other parts of Western Europe, the price includes full insurance coverage, no service charges or other taxes and charges.  They arrange to meet you and get you the car on your schedule.  It also is possible to buy the car at the end of the lease. I've been told the program is available only to holders of non-European Union passports.

Renault:  I've heard that this is a good program and the online research seems to bear it out. Renault's leasing program offers prices comparable to Hertz, Avis, Europcar and Budget but allows you to select the car you want from their fleet.  Pick up and drop off are all 32 locations throughout Europe, including the major French destinations.  Leasing means unlimited mileage, a new car warranty, comprehensive insurance with no deductible, 24/7 multi-lingual roadside assistance and a broad network of service agents.  Renault also will lease to drivers as young as 18 years of age, whereas most of the others restrict rental and permission to drive to those 25 years of age or older.

Buckle up!




2 comments:

Ksam said...

I rent cars about 2 weeks per month for work, and have found the cheapest prices (esp for Automatics) to be with National Citer. I also purchased their fidelité card (50€ for 2 years), which guarantees me a minimum of 35% off - and more the farther I book in advance. With the fidelité card, I also accumulate points and bonus points, which can be used for future free rentals.

I haven't ever rented for a month though, I usually only rent for 7-10 days at a time.

Ksam said...

PS. Out of curiosity, I just did a simulation between the BSP site and National. For a one-week automatic rental at the end of April, BSP quoted 288€ and National quoted 232€ (w/the fidélité discount). So just something to consider next time you rent!