Thursday, April 8, 2010

A drunk of discerning taste

I'm quite sure I'm not supposed to enjoy the advances of an anonymous drunk, particularly when he's already "dans la jus," as they say, at 11 on a Thursday morning and he's speaking to me rather loudly across a parking lot. And there is just no doubt about his state since the wind coming from his direction is saturated and I smell stale red wine even before I hear him and realize he's addressing me. But what he lacks in discretion, he makes up for in poetry. "Did you know you are beautiful, madame?" he asks, as I pass on the way to the car carrying a basket of vegetables and olive oil from the Nyons market.  "Yes, yes," he insists, "you are a woman of rare beauty. Rare beauty."  My birthday is later this week.  I'll take the compliment. I smile all the way to the edge of town.

Pictured here, my preferred tapenade vendors.  Worth a special trip in to the market on Thursdays.  Nyons is famous for anything olive -- olive oil, tapenade black and green, with garlic and without, olives cured in every fashion, in bags, bottles and boxes.  Yum.

No comments: