Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ground Support

Between holding down a job three days a week, counseling my own clients, starting another company and providing parental consulting services to a 16-year-old, it has been far too long since I posted anything here.

I wasn't much less busy last spring when I was looking for a house, which is why it was a gift from the universe to run into Wendy Johnson. Wendy, who I first encountered when I responded to a for-sale-by-owner ad on a Languedoc message board, works with French Help Services, a small company that both helps people find houses and also helps them manage the houses they own. She is smart, fast, efficient, sensible, knowledgeable and funny. She started out by answering questions about one house and ended up putting together a schedule for three weeks of house viewings -- 35 houses from Pezenas to Mont Ventoux. (I've never believed in buying the first pair of shoes I try on.)

After two months of searching listings and keeping a file of houses I wanted to see, Wendy helped me pull it all together into three well-organized binders of listings, driving directions, contact numbers and logistics. I'm sure similar services exist throughout France, but Wendy is one-of-a-kind. I recommend that anyone planning a trip to house shop find someone on the ground to provide counsel and logistical support like French Help Services did (and continues to do) for me.

Wendy also has a very entertaining blog where she sometimes has property listings, including the lovely house that prompted me to first get in touch with her -- a maison de village in Anduze, the gateway to the Cevennes Mountains. The video tour of the house that Wendy shot for me is still posted on her blog. The Anduze house is beautiful, and a steal. It was just a little farther from my friends in Avignon than I wanted. If you're looking, check it out.

More later - and I won't wait quite so long between postings. It's way too much fun.

No comments: