Saturday, November 17, 2007

Nice Neighborhood

France is a big place, nearly as big as Texas. But where Texas has just four or five regions -- and only one with any appeal -- France has dozens of regions and departments, each with its own seductive charm. Settling on a place to buy a house abroad is much like picking a neighborhood in your hometown -- you must consider how well a place suits the way you want to live and, for resale, location, location, location. Before I started thinking about the sort of house I wanted to own, I had to narrow the search to the region where I wanted to live.

If you don't already know France, take a tour. Spend a month or more. Think about whether you prefer the mountains or sea, the sun or seasons, cities, villages or countryside and then plot a course and take it.

I lived in France for a number of years, so I spent some time just remembering the regions I liked best. Normandy, so lovely and green, with the world's best tarte tartine and Calvados, proximity to England and Paris and a cozy quaintness that immediately makes me feel at home. Brittany, windswept and salted by the sea, colored by Celtic mystery and music. The Jura with its soaring mountains for winter sports and summer hikes, the volcanic moodiness and solitude of Auvergne, the floral charm of Alsace and friendly, yummy Strasbourg... how in the world to choose?

There were a few priorities. Sunshine. Music. Vines and olives. The way the wind smells after blowing across miles and miles of fennel and wild thyme. Wine. Friendly people. On a more practical front, proximity to the high-speed TGV, France's train a grande vitesse. After flying for hours from The States, I wanted either a short drive from Paris or a short train ride from Charles de Gaulle. (The TGV now conveniently runs from a station under the airport, where there is also, happily, a hotel. If I'm too tired to go on, I just pick up my bags and hit the sack.)

Finally, I wanted to be near my friends in Avignon, a stop on the TGV run between Paris and Marseilles. I've had friends there for 30 years, and others who come each summer. No region can offer anything more appealing than friendships that span decades.

So after a few weeks looking at houses throughout the Languedoc Rousillon -- very very popular with the British because of direct flights between Montpelier and Stansted -- I came home to Provence. This is where I'd focus my search. Nice neighborhood.

No comments: